Madison County High School Counseling Department
Welcome to the MCHS Counseling Department
The Counseling Department at Madison County High School is committed to serving the academic, personal, and career needs of all students at our school. Students are seen or a first-come first-served basis or may schedule appointments with a counselor by coming to the Counseling Office before and after school, or between classes. If you are unsure who your counselor is, please visit our counseling staff page. If you have suggestions about additional resources that you would like to see added to our site, please email Daniel Bennett with your suggestions. To learn more about what counselors do at MCHS, please view our Counseling Department Presentation .
College & Military Recruiters
If you are a college or military representative and would like to schedule a lunchroom visitation at Madison County High School, please sign up using our online Lunchroom Visitation Event Registration.
MCHS & the Broad River College & Career Academy will be hosting our 3rd annual College & Career Fair on Wednesday, November 8th. If you would like to participate, please sign up using our online College & Career Fair Sign Up.
COUNSELING ANNOUNCEMENTS/QUICK LINKS:
Scholarship Information and Other Opportunities
- All scholarship announcements and other academic opportunities (grades 9-12) are listed on the Scholarships, Contests, and Other Opportunities Announcement Sheet . Check back frequently for new additions and the latest information.
- GAFutures also offers a comprehensive searchable scholarship database.
Summer School Information
- Summer School information will be provided later this school year in advisement.
Registration Information for 2019-20
- Registration for the 2019-20 school year has begun. Counselors met with students to determine academic courses, and students will register for electives from 2/13 to 2/20 through their campus portal.
- If students need to request a level change, students may submit a completed Level Change Form (available now) to the counseling office. These forms must be signed by a teacher (as specified on the form) and a parent. Students interested in an AP Study Hall or early dismissal/late arrival should submit a completed forms to the Counseling Office.
- GA Virtual School Registration--Any student interested in a GA Virtual School course for next year, should register for the course through their student portal account during registration (for World Language courses) or schedule an appointment with Mr. Bennett.
- FOR RISING 9TH GRADERS:
- 8th Grade Parent Night is at the MCHS Cafeteria at 6pm on February 21th
HOPE & Financial Aid Information
- Students may check their in progress HOPE GPA by logging in to their GAFutures account. If you have forgotten your account information, you may create a new account.
- HOPE 2017-18 Program Brochure
- GSFC Guide to Financial Aid--Paying for College Brochure
- Students graduating with the class of 2015 and beyond are required to complete HOPE Scholarship Rigor Requirements in addition to GPA requirements. Current students (class of 2017 and beyond) must complete 4 courses that meet rigor. A complete list of courses offered in GA that meet the HOPE Scholarship's Rigor Requirements is available here . You may also view the List of Courses That Meet Rigor Requirements at Madison County HIgh School.
- For the most current information about HOPE Scholarship & Grant Programs, please visit www.gafutures.org .
- Federal Student Aid Online Resources
MCHS Counseling Department Newsletter & School Profile
- Coming Soon
Free SAT/ACT Test Prep Information
- Free SAT preparation materials are available through the College Board through a partnership with Khan Academy . For more information about SAT prep, visit the College Board's SAT Prep site .
- ACTpreparation materials are available on the ACT website .
- SAT Prep classes are available to students at Madison County High School. Senior SAT Prep sessions are usually offered before the October and November SAT Dates. Students must be registered for the corresponding SAT test date. More specific information will be announced as it becomes available.
- ACT Authority: Free 3 day trial, subscription based after trial.
- Credit Recovery--Ask your counselor about Credit Recovery Options. This is a great FREE way to get caught up on credits!
- GA Virtual School is available to students at Madison County High School. For more information about GA Virtual School, please visit www.gavirtualschool.org on contact Daniel Bennett.
- Move On When Ready Information--This program allows eligible high school students to take some or all of his or her courses at an eligible post-secondary institution (college, university or technical college) and receive high school credits toward meeting graduation requirements. For more information, please contact Sarah Owen. For information about MOWR through Georgia Military College, please view this introductory letter from GMC or this presentation.
- Upward Bound applications are available in the Counseling Office. For more information, please view the Upward Bound slideshow.
- Student Handbook -For general questions about the Code of Conduct and MCHS operations.
- A list of resources available to families and community members is available in two versions: Madison County Resource Guide (English) and Madison County Resource Guide (Spanish)